The PandaLabs Report for the first quarter of 2015 shows that the number of new malware specimens delivered every day is now at 225,000. A total of 20 million new malware samples containing malicious files were introduced in the past three months, indicating a significant and rapid rise in malware infections globally.
Worryingly, the average proportion of infected PCs globally is 36.5%, of which 76% are Trojans (viruses account for only 1.7% of all malware infections).
Trojans can infect computers and perform unauthorised actions such as deleting, copying, blocking or modifying data, or disrupting the performance of computers or networks – a serious risk to confidential information.
The report also reveals the following:
- Large corporates are the biggest target for ransomware attacks.
- Even public sector institutions have been forced to pay ransoms after suffering this type of attack.
- Countries with the highest malware infection rates were:
- China (48%)
- Peru (43%)
- Turkey (42%)
- Bolivia (41%)
- Russia (41%)
- Argentina (41%)
- In the European Union, the top infected counties were:
- Poland (39%)
- Slovenia (39%)
- Spain (38%)
- Italy (38%)
- Countries with the lowest infection rates were mostly in the EU:
- UK (26%)
- Switzerland (25%)
- Japan (24%)
- Sweden (22%)
- Norway (22%)
- Vulnerabilities in Flash and Java are prime targets for cyber criminals.
- Phishers no longer solely target customers of banks and online payment services; customers of Apple, Anthem and Slack have all been victims of large-scale, sophisticated phishing campaigns.
- One of today’s most common Facebook scams is bogus posts announcing giveaways of gift cards from popular companies.
With targeted attacks on businesses clearly on the rise, information security is of paramount importance. Risk assessment and management is an essential element of any robust information security management system (ISMS). vsRisk™ – software specifically developed to help you identify and counter cyber attacks – enables you to build and maintain an ISMS that will protect your organisation and its data.